Pages

Nov 29, 2006

Survey by a media

We received an e-mail from the popular English newspaper in Hong Kong, asking us to pick one of the options below if we are elected as a member of the Election Committee. The options listed are,

1. Alan Leong
2. Donald Tsang
3. Not yet decided

Guess they are trying to survey all the candidates to estimate the number of nominations Alan Leong could get.

The thing is, we advocate a “Contested CE Election”. Given the current political environment and the alleged ‘political pressure’, the nomination phase will be biased towards single candidacy, if you know a bit of game theory. Our intention is to make the CE election a contested one, so we will nominate a ’secondary candidate’ to run for the election. We are not saying that Alan Leong is better than Donald Tsang if we nominate Alan Leong.

Voltaire said, “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”. Although I have no plan to die for a Contested CE Election, I would love to twist this quote a little bit and put it as,

I don’t think Alan Leong is good enough, but I will try my best to make him an option for those who think he is. At the end of the day, the better one will win.

My answer to the survey is “To foster competition, we will nominate one candidate to compete with Donald Tsang.”.

No comments: